Review: In Search Of Us - Ava Dellaira

June 07, 2018



Hello again.

It's been a while since I've posted a book review. I usually review a book after I read it. But it takes a while to post them up. 

That just shows you how lazy I can be. 

I was mainly busy with languages and just being overwhelmed with balancing stuff.

Let's get into the review, shall we?




Author: Ava Dellaira

Genre: YA, Contemporary

Blurb: Angie considers herself unremarkable. She likes history and science, running hard, grilled cheese with burned edges. But today, everything will change.
 A photo in an old box, in a drawer. Of her teenage mother with a boy she's never seen before - and yet Angie knows instantly that it's her father. The father who died before she was born. But Angie begins to understand that there are things she has not been told. Things that Angie now needs to know, more than anything.
   And so she sets off in search of her father's story. Her mother's story. And her own story. Because, she comes to realise, the missing pieces always matter.


**Firstly, I would like to thank Hot Key Books for sending me a review copy.

One of the first things that I realised about this book was that wow, a contemporary written in the third person and also that this story had really lovely writing.

The point of view would often alternate from Marilyn's (Angie's mother) which was set in the past and Angie's which was in the present. The scene transitions were smooth as heck.

I was mostly intrigued by Marilyn's point of view. How she moved to LA with her mother who dreamed of her daughter becoming a Hollywood actress. 

However, Marilyn only had eyes for photography and college. Also, there was this boy named James who she eventually started a relationship with. I liked James and the intellectual conversations he had with Marilyn. I wasn't the biggest fan of their most passionate, intimate moments, though. There were quite a few occurrences of those and though it wasn't all that graphic, it was obvious.

Also, though it wasn't a super major part of the story, I enjoyed the mother-daughter relationship element.

On the other hand, Angie's relationship with her significant other SUCKED. Angie didn't know how to treat him properly. Also didn't appreciate the substance abuse.



Like when Sam gave Angie his joint to smoke when she was nervous. She doesn't even smoke.

DON'T GIVE OTHERS YOUR HARMFUL DRUGS YOU BUCKET OF HORSERADISH.



There's also a heck ton of cursing, which is *kinda* mentioned on the back of the book. 

Overall, the book wasn't my style (unfortunately) but I hope others can enjoy it.

3 stars out of 5




You Might Also Like

2 comments

Keep it all clean, man. Well, if you really wanna curse, use minor swear words. And I mean the minorest of minor ones.

"Or what?" you ask in indignation.

"Or else."