Mini Reseñas feat All The Rage (eng)

July 14, 2018





I. Am. Finally. Back.

After remembering that I am in fact a book blogger, I have decided to return back because I have been way too lazy.

Also, I have come to terms with the fact that I will have to translate this post especially since I have been slacking too much with my Spanish studies and I simply can't be doing that. 







Second Best Friend - Non Pratt




Blurb: Jade has a near-perfect best friend in Becky - until a throwaway comment triggers a serious inferiority complex. How come Becky is better than her at everything? So, when life offers Jade the chance to come out on top, she grabs in. But there are some popularity contests that you just can't win.


Before this book got published, I didn't realise that it was going to be a children's book rather than a shorter YA. Yes, there are swear words but the way the students act really reveals their age (I doubt they're 13 but still) and also if you calculate their age by their year (they're year 9s, I think).
At the start of the novel, Jade plans to dump a super popular and apparently 'super-hot' boy name Rob because of how little of a connection she has with him. To save face, Rob spills the truth.

After this, Jade tries super hard to outshine Becky. She even ended up dying her hair red. She eventually spoke to Becky's rebellious twin sister about her insecurities but Becky's twin Stef informed her that was a bunch of horseradish.


3.5 stars out of 5


You can find the full review on Goodreads!




Rebel of The Sands - Alwyn Hamilton


Blurb: Dustwalk is an unforgiving, dead-end town. It's not the place to be poor or orphaned or female. And yet Amani Al' Hiza must call it 'home.'
Amani wants to escape and see the world she's heard about in campfire stories.
Then a foreigner with no name turns up, and with him she has the chance to run.
But the desert plans are full of dangerous magic. The Sultan's army is on the rise and Amani is soon caught at the heart of a fearless rebellion...

Okay...


WHAT THE  FUDGE  WAS GOING ON?!

I could barely get a hold of the plot. From the beginning, the words in this novel flew right over my head.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a 'bad' book. I just didn't really enjoy the lack of world building and other stuff. Even though I'm not from the Middle East, I found the setting way too westernised? 










Purple Hearts (Front Lines #3) - Michael Grant



Blurb: Courage, sacrifice, and fear have lead Rio, Frangie, and Rainy through front-line battles in North Africa and Sicily, and their missions are not over. These soldiers and thousands of Allies must fight their deadliest battle yet-for their country and their lives- as they descend into the freezing water and onto the treacherous sands of Omaha Beach. It is June 6, 1944. D-Day has arrived.
No longer naive recruits, these soldier girls are now Silver Star recipients and battle-hardened. Others look to them for guidance and confidence, but this is a war that will leave sixty million dead. Flesh will turn to charcoal. Piles will be made of torn limbs. The women must find a way to lead while holding on to their own last shred of beliefs in humanity.
(From Goodreads)



Man, I almost DNF-ed this darn book.




Now, I've actually finished the book, I have come to realise that I didn't read this book at the right time. I did eventually overcome my lack of motivation and made it through the first part.



As expected, the characters (particularly Rio Richlin) have changed. She is seen differently because of her Silver Star and men don't mess with her as much. She encountered some problems with Strand who feels less of a man around Rio because of her achievements and skills.


3.5 stars out of 5


You can find the full review on Goodreads!





All The Rage - Courtney Summers



Blurb: Kellan Turner is not the golden boy everyone thinks he is and Romy Grey knows that for a fact. But when she speaks up, she is branded a liar. Telling the truth has cost her everything, because no one wants to believe a girl from the wrong side of  town.
But when news of Kellan assaulting another girl gets out, the cost of staying silent might be more than Romy can bear. All The Rage examines the shame and silence inflicted upon young women in a culture that refuses to protest them.


This book is basically about rape, the aftermath of it and assault. It's a page turner that hits you again and again. 

The town Grebe is exactly the kind of place you don't want to find yourself in. The kind that suffocates you.

I liked how real the characters were. I can't say that I liked Romy, the protagonist (not that I disliked her) but I felt that I didn't need to. Not the typical YA protagonist: She had crooked teeth and came from a poor family so she has to work at a diner.


3.5 stars out of 5





How has your reading year been so far? Barely any 4 star reads but I have yet to lose hope!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. You flatter me too much xD *blushes even though no one can see it* :D

      Delete
  2. I have recently read some pretty decent books. Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas was a YA that was well written with likable characters, though it did have some problematic things. Currently I am reading Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens, and I am in great distress because that is what Dickens does to me. I want to push Mr. Dombey off a very tall cliff right now. In other words, I am having the time of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because You'll Never Meet Me is actually on my Goodreads TBR. I have also yet to read Dickens though I have bought one of his classics, "Oliver Twist."

      Delete

Keep it all clean, man. Well, if you really wanna curse, use minor swear words. And I mean the minorest of minor ones.

"Or what?" you ask in indignation.

"Or else."