Mini Reseñas feat. Always and Forever, Lara Jean (eng)

August 04, 2018

I'm actually back again! I was telling myself that I would do it later. Later. Later. And guess what? School's next month. UGH.

I messed up. No, I didn't make it to uni *cries for ages* but I do have a back up plan.

So let's head over to the reviews! (which are all old as heck but still relevant for reviewing!)



Always and Forever, Lara Jean (#3)



Blurb: Life is good for Lara Jean. She is head over heels in love, her dad's finally getting remarried and her sister Margot is coming home for the summer.
But change is looming. And Lara Jean can't ignore the big life decisions she has to make - where she goes to college for one. Because that would mean leaving her family and possibly the boy she loves - behind.
When your heart and your head are saying two different things, which one should you listen to?


It was all kinda weird, I guess. Seeing Lara Jean grow up. I was glad that Jenny Han showed a different side to her without trying to do away with Lara Jean's originally innocent personality.

The thing about Lara Jean is it's hard to get mad at her. She's honestly the cutest person.

I felt sad whenever she felt sad. I did find it weird sometimes when one of her sentences would end in an exclamation mark. Over doing the innocence just a little bit xD


3.5 stars out of five





Artemis Fowl (#1) - Eoin Colfer




Blurb: Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is a millionaire, a genius and, above all, a criminal mastermind. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories - they're dangerous! Full of unexpected twists and turns, Artemis Fowl is a riveting, magical adventure.


I was intrigued by how this story was told. It was in the third person narrative but had a conversational vibe to it? Various people's perspectives were shown aside from Artemis'.

I liked the writing, though I would have personally omitted some sentences and while some jokes were funny, others were a complete mess.

Sure, a lot of stuff happened but a lot of stuff still flew over my head. However, I was intrigued enough and hope to pick up the next book soon!

3.5 stars out of 5




Kindred - Octavia Butler


Blurb: The first science fiction written by a black woman, Kindred, has become a cornerstone of black American Literature. This combination of slave memoir, fantasy, and historical fiction is a novel of rich literary complexity. Having just celebrated her 26th birthday in 1976 California, Dana, an African American woman, is suddenly and inexplicably wrenched through time into antebellum Maryland. After saving a drowning white boy there, she finds herself staring into the barrel of a shotgun and is transported back to the present just in time to save her life. During numerous such time-defying episodes with the same young man, she realises the challenge she's been given: to protect this young slaveholder until he can father her own great-grandfather.
(taken from Goodreads)


 I usually don't like the main characters the most but I thought Dana was absolutely brilliant. One of the things I appreciated was how much of a relatable bookworm she was.

Kevin did suggest once that I get rid of some of my books so that I'd fit into his place
You're out of your mind!" I told him.

I liked how easy to follow this was. No complex sciency language was used here so I'd say even non sci-fi lovers might enjoy this one.

I guess an important thing I've noticed is that there are so many books about racism during times of slavery but the ones usually assigned at school are about white people? Of course white people can write these stories but we need to focus a lot more on these stories that black writers write. It's unfortunate that they tend not to be as popular....







Unwind (Unwind Dystology #1) - Neal Shusterman




Blurb: The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child 'unwound' whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Conor is too different for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state, is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.

Intermission: On my edition, it says 'before the Hunger Games there was Unwind.' Psh, Battle Royale is the real OG. However, that doesn't mean that I'm not interested in this series.


The story is told in the third person, present tense. Fast paced and surprisingly enjoyable.

Lev was one of my favourites. He was simply adorable and brave and it was interesting to see how his opinion on Christianity and God was challenged and how that influenced his decisions. It's so rare to see an actual Christian character in a traditionally published YA series. A lot of the Christian characters I've read are so watered down.

This book deals with quite a few topics: Life, Death, Religion, Politics, Good vs Bad. However, it was also quite humorous. Sometimes in a silly way it cracked me up and other times it was kind of dark.

I almost forgot to mention that there's a <i>tiny</i> bit of romance that would usually annoy me but Neal Shusterman used it in a way that was not so annoying. I wish there was none, though. At least it was only a tiny bit.






So guys. That was it for this week. Hopefully, I'll get both the Spanish reviews up as well. It's kind of embarrassing that I haven't done that yet.



You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Hiii, lovely !!!
    I truly loved Jenny Han's novels <3 They're so cute and sweet and afsdgyhfjgh i love them <3
    THANKS FOR ALL THESE MINI REVIEWS !!! I really enjoyed them :)
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yeah, it's not often you come across reads like these.

      Thanks again!

      Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Great reviews! Also, I love the glasses clip art. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gray xD I was afraid that they would look stupid xD

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness. I was going through all my old posts, and found a bunch of your comments from like four years ago? Something crazy like that? My blog has changed a fair bit (it's now wandering-everywhere.com) but holy COW your blog is an entirely new thing. I can't believe I lost contact with you and your posts, there is so much I've missed out on. I don't even know if you remember me lol, my old blog was Awkward Donkey? This is actually mental, I can't believe I've found you again and you're still blogging! You are officially never losing me again lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa. That's so strange :o I almost didn't recognise you! You have a travel blog.

      yeah. I just can't stick to a theme xD

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, Artemis Fowl...! That series is one of my absolute favourites, I read it a few years ago though, I might have to re-read those books to see if I still like them or if I find them cringy now... Actually, I probably won't, I'd be too scared in case I don't like them anymore 😂 I haven't read any of the other books on here, some of them sound very cool, though! Nice post! 😊

    Andrea @ https://spaceshipsvampiresandsecretagents.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since almost everyone has seemed to read it, I guess I should try it as well.

      Oh okay. That's okay as well xD

      I hope you like them! And thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read most of these, but I LOVE Artemis Fowl!! So glad you got to it, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

    I haven't read Unwind, but I've heard a lot about it! I might have to see if I can find it somewhere.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay as well xD Me too. I'm pretty neutral about it so far so let's see what happens!

      I hope you get to it as well!

      Delete

Keep it all clean, man. Well, if you really wanna curse, use minor swear words. And I mean the minorest of minor ones.

"Or what?" you ask in indignation.

"Or else."