Mini Reseñas feat. The Poppy War (eng)

November 10, 2018


Honestly, I shouldn't be making these when I haven't finished the Spanish version of the previous mini reviews but whatever. I'll just get these out of the way since the year is ending soon!



Everything I Never Told You - Celeste NG




Blurb: So begins this exquisite novel about a Chinese American family living in 1970s small-town Ohio. Lydia is the favourite child of Marilyn and James Lee, and her parents are determined that she will fulfill the dreams they were unable to pursue. But when Lydia's body is found in the local lake, the delicate balancing act that has been keeping the Lee family together is destroyed, tumbling them into chaos.
(taken from Goodreads)


This is a story about a dysfunctional family.

Though Marilyn is very much in love with her husband, she thinks about how her life could have been so much different. She also wanted to become an independent woman of her dreams but could not accomplish that at that time so she placed a lot of expectations on her daughter to be smart and to not be a housewife.

Though this book was fairly easy to read and the writing flowed so well, it was rather gloomy. Personally, I don't mind gloom that much but I wish there was a little something to lighten it up - maybe some humour or more random silliness.







It Only Happens in The Movies - Holly Bourne






Blurb: When Audrey meets Harry, it's the start of a truly cinematic romance - or is it?
Audrey knows that Harry is every movie cliché rolled into one. But she still chooses to let him into her heart....


I thought this was going to be a purely semi-cheesy novel about a girl complaining about movie clichés but it was definitely deeper than that.

Apart from trying not to be distracted by the super 'attractive' guy at work, she also deals with how her dad left her mum for another woman and also with how he's taking their house and living in it with his new family.

Personally, Harry's not my style. Especially since he smokes and drinks quite a lot, is a drug addict (but won't admit it) and a PLAYER. I did not find his greasy 'charming' ways one bit attractive. 


There were somewhat detailed mentions about sex and also a detailed sex scene. They both made me feel woozy and very uncomfortable =)

I thought about this being my last Holly Bourne book but I guess I can read another one. 







A Thousand Perfect Notes - C.G. Drews


Blurb: Beck's mother, a once famous pianist, lives out her shattered dreams through her son. 
Crushed by her violence, and forced to play the piano until his hands bleed, Beck is broken - until August comes along.
August, with her bare feet and doodled hands. August, fiercely protective of those in need. Can she help Beck unlock his own music and say all the things he's never said?


I can't believe I've actually read it! 

Beck's family is somewhat different to the families I've often read about in YA. He and his sister Joey are half siblings, both do not know who their fathers are.

I thought Beck was alright. He was a pretty sweet guy who protected his sister and simply wanted his mother to be proud of him. 

Sadly, I didn't feel much while reading the story. However, the ending was alright and I'm looking forward to Cait's next novel.




The Poppy War - R.F. Kuang



Blurb: Opium runs through the heart of the Nikara Empire, a constant reminder of the war with the Federation of Mugen that brought it to the empire's shores, a war ended only through the intervention of three legendary figures with god-like powers - the Trifecta.
Decades have passed. Peace reigns, yet the poppy remains.
War orphan Rin grew up with it - her adopted family smuggle opium to addicts throughout Rooster Province. But when Rin's parents force her into an arranged marriage, she refuses to accept her fate and fights her way to the prestigious military academy at Sinegard.
There she will learn of drug-fuelled shamanic rituals long thought to be myth and powers which might defeat the federation during another invasion. But the cost of some power if too great to pay, even if it means winning a war that would destroy an entire.




I was really unsure about reading this book mainly because it's high fantasy - adult high fantasy but look at me!

Also, hello: no romance. A reason to pick this up.

For Rin, moving to the city was super difficult because the people spoke a different dialect and the people looked down at her for being a war orphan and being in such an important academy for people who were more well off.


The beginning was pretty intriguing, but as I reached the middle when war techniques/war happened, I became quite confused. It's difficult for me to properly understand war scenes. I was glad I didn't DNF this because things really got interesting for me near the end but lots of bad things happened.



Now I'm quite curious about the next book in the series!





Truth or Dare - Non Pratt

                                                                            source


Blurb: How far is too far when it comes to the people you love?
Claire Casey hates being the centre of attention. But if it means getting Sef Malik to notice her, it's a risk she's happy to take. Sef is prepared to do anything to help his recently disabled brother. But this means putting Claire's love - and life- on the line. Because when you're willing to risk everything, what is there left to lose?


This book is one of these eccentric books which have separate POVs at the front and back. Part one contains Claire's point of view.

Now, for the part I practically got this book about. You see, the only reason I chose to read this book was because I head there was an asexual character? However that character didn't appear as much in the novel as I thought she would? And she was so annoying and preachy. Yes, she had a reason to be angry but she went overboard and even treated Claire way worse than she deserved.

 For those of you who don't understand these terms she explains it as:

"Aromantic. No interest in romance. As in, zero interest in having a relationship beyond the platonic variety and certainly not wanting to be accosted on my own doorstep."


And Asexual means that you don't feel sexual attraction. Both terms do not mean the same thing. But some people, like her are both.
 I enjoyed reading about the YouTube bit as I spend A LOT of time there whenever I'm not reading. 




Basically, this took me way longer than necessary and yeah I'm once again behind on everything. Including the blogosphere. 

I'm also struggling and am basically looking forward for the Christmas holidays. Ha!



You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Great reviews as always! Some of these books sounded really cute. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the encouragement! Yeah, they're pretty interesting!

      Delete
  2. Grace, I really appreciate how your mini reviews are actually mini, unlike a lot of bloggers. I really liked Truth Or Dare, although I must say I can't remember much about the asexual character. I should read my review, haha. The Poppy War sounds really interesting! I remember learning about how opium shaped colonial history in school and it's interesting how important it was. I kind of agree with your assessment of A Thousand Perfect Notes; it was okay but I think I mostly read it because of Cait. I think I will read her later stuff though. And partly I just didn't enjoy the narration style? IDK. I thought It Only Happens In The Movies was great just because it wasn't predictable happily ever after, and I agree that harry was a total jerk. Great reviews!
    PS: I really like your new review/star image, it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Shar. SHADE! I feel that my reviewing style is sort of choppy, though xD

      Yeah, there was barely anything about her. Opium shaping colonial history? dang, you'll probably like the book more if you've learned about that stuff.

      Thanks, I got it from Freepik!

      Delete

Keep it all clean, man. Well, if you really wanna curse, use minor swear words. And I mean the minorest of minor ones.

"Or what?" you ask in indignation.

"Or else."