How To Write Good by Ryan Higa

May 08, 2021

 



Ryan Higa


Non Fiction


An unconventional, irreverent, yet heartfelt memoir by Ryan Higa, one of the top creators on YouTube. With pictures! And illustrations! And, y'know, words.


I'm kinda surprised it took me THIS LONG to get to this book, seeing as Ryan Higa is one of my favourite YouTubers ever. He was the first YouTuber that I started watching, ever since my classmates got my teachers to play some of his videos in class. One of the few positive things about those people.


ANYWAY...

In the prologue, Ryan admitted to having a ghostwriter from the Publisher help him to write the book. This shouldn't have been a surprise to me since Ryan Higa is a content creator on YouTube that doesn't read or write much. To be honest, despite the ghostwriter, the book wasn't super well written or anything but I didn't mind.

The book is basically about a time in Ryan's life where he was depressed during his childhood and he tells it like a story. Before each chapter, a new story writing tip would be introduced. For example, where the story takes place, obstacles, and so on.

The book also included footnotes and cartoons where Ryan would lament about the difference between videos and books; and how his jokes would not translate the same way. I also felt this because I found the book a lot less funny than his videos.

Though I may be a writer, I feel that I am lacking some basic elements that help form a novel, so I feel that I could learn from some of the tips. However, as for this tip:

"It never hurts to add a romantic plotline"


I VERY MUCH DISAGREE MR HIGA!

 


But after this tip, he told a story of how a girl he liked rejected him.


If I have to be honest, the main reason why I enjoyed this is because it was by Ryan Higa. So, I can't say that I recommend this unless you're curious, a Ryan Higa fan or are interested in a quick read.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Keep it all clean, man. Well, if you really wanna curse, use minor swear words. And I mean the minorest of minor ones.

"Or what?" you ask in indignation.

"Or else."